Become a Darn Good Winemaker
Ohhh sulfur dioxide… how you’ve been puzzling the minds of winemakers for centuries.
Generally, must winemakers know that sulfur dioxide is needed for wine preservation, but how to apply it and how much to add to wine is a continuous guessing game. Sometimes we think we add enough, only to discover we’ve added too little. Stratification in tanks is an ongoing issue that many wineries face. Determining how much sulfur dioxide is lost during bottling can be the difference between wines sustaining their shelf life or bottles popping after a few warm months.
Does this sound like something you’ve questioned or had to deal with in the past?
Or does sulfur dioxide just confuse you, in general?
If so, DGW’s Darn Good Winemakers is hosting the first webinar specifically on sulfur dioxide.
Wednesday, November 28, 2018
12:30 PM (EST)
It’s an online webinar! You can participate from anywhere you have internet connection.
What are we going to learn?
“Demystifying Sulfur Dioxide” will cover:
- How sulfur dioxide differs from other sulfur components in wine (like hydrogen sulfide or mercaptans).
- How sulfur dioxide works in wine. Sulfur dioxide is useful because it offers both antioxidant and antimicrobial protection in the wine.
- Break down the difference between free, total, and molecular sulfur dioxide. Why do each of these components matter? And do winemakers always obtain an appropriate molecular level of sulfur dioxide?
- Review the risks of not having “enough” sulfur dioxide in the wine.
- I’ll introduce you to microbiological control solutions that can act as tools during wine production, providing specific examples in which these strategies have worked for other winemakers.
How can I sign up?
Registration is available through the Darn Good Winemaker network.
You pay a single flat fee for 12 consecutive webinars, hosted once-per-month, with additional Q&A time after each webinar in which you can ask questions pertaining to the webinar topic or issues you’re facing in your actual cellar.
You can find more information about the Darn Good Winemakers, here.
Now through December 31st, 2018 the price for 12 consecutive monthly webinars and the open Q&A time following each webinar is a total, one-time fee of $350. Your registration will provide you with instructions to access the “Demystifying Sulfur Dioxide” webinar and your next 11 webinars!
You can find more benefits associated with your registration, here.
Topics we cover will evolve based on Darn Good Winemaker needs. Once you register to become a Darn Good Winemaker, you can also submit ideas for winemaking topics you want to learn more about.
To Find out More Details on the Darn Good Winemakers…
There’s also a webinar scheduled for December 2018. On December 19th, I’ll host “Winery Sanitation Steps that Work” and this isn’t your typical sanitation discussion! I’m going to skip through the generic review of sanitizer options and go straight to:
- Why sanitation is an important step in wine production
- The microflora of wine
- A basic sanitation strategy applicable for any wine production step
Or contact Denise (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.